October Dyslexia Awareness Month 2016 – Volunteer Toolkit
October is Dyslexia Awareness Month! This a great time to spread awareness of and knowledge about dyslexia. Please use this toolkit to work with others in your community to promote dyslexia!
Ideas for Activities:
- Write an article with information about dyslexia and submit it to your local newspaper and/or a parenting magazine in your area.
- Post facts about dyslexia on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Request that your mayor sign the October Dyslexia Awareness Month Proclamation.
- Ask a group of friends, parents, or co-workers to read a book about dyslexia, such as Overcoming Dyslexia, The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan, The Dyslexic Advantage, or Dyslexia Advocate with you. You also could host a book discussion at the end of the month.
- Wear red on 1 in 5 day: Saturday, October 15th!
Ideas for Events:
- Show a documentary about dyslexia such as The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia, Journey into Dyslexia, or I Can’t Do That, But I Can Do This. Contact ALIDA to borrow one of these films.
- Ask a guest speaker to give a lecture or workshop on a dyslexia related topic.
- Convene a panel of professionals to answer questions about dyslexia.
- Put on an Experience Dyslexia Learning Disabilities Simulation for parents & teachers in your community. (Note: The kit and other materials needed to put on the simulation can be costly.)
- Host a planning meeting for volunteers in your area. Use the meeting to brainstorm ideas for how to promote dyslexia awareness in your area though out the year!
Possible Locations for Events:
- Public Library or Community Center
- Schools, University, or Community College
- City Hall
Ways to Publicize Events:
- Post about your event on your social media account(s).
- Submit details to the calendar of your local newspapers and magazines.
- Make fliers and post them around town.
- Contact news outlets in your area.
- Email your personal and professional contacts with details about the event.
Share this page with your friends…